OKIE OIL MAN & FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEW HORIZONS BUTTON

BAGHDAD TIME
Latest topics
» CHATROOM, NEW HORIZONS, IS OPEN!!!
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2020 1:52 pm by handy andy

» WELCOME BACK OKIE!
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm by karent56

» AS OF 18 APRIL 2018 ... CHATROOM HAS REOPENED AFTER ADDONCHAT ISSUES!!!
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 pm by DanJ

» ALL NATIVE'S CK THIS OUT
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 pm by pheasanthunter

» 10 Tips to Overcome Negative Thoughts: Positive Thinking Made Easy!
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 11:47 am by ..journey

» Chatroom login
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 1:35 am by Kinibop

» To Your Health ... Miracle Ginger Tea
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 6:56 pm by Kinibop

» STILL CANT GET INTO CHAT
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 8:10 pm by NorthernColoradoDinarian

» Cant get into chat Im a member
The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 1:29 am by Kinibop

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads

Go down

The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads Empty The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads

Post  MISPLACEDBUCKEYE Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:09 am

https://redpowermedia.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/the-truth-about-the-mohawk-and-why-mohawk-warriors-shaved-their-heads/

Wars and Warriors
April 16, 2015 Red Power Media 1 Comment
Painting And Drawing 1 (Oka Crisis Mohawk Warrior) By Akokatssini (Steven J. Black Weasel) On deviantART
Painting And Drawing 1 (Oka Crisis Mohawk Warrior) By Akokatssini (Steven J. Black Weasel) On deviantART
Mohawk Warriors and those cool haircuts.

Perhaps one of the most known Native American tribes – for a hairstyle are the Mohawks.

Where did Mohawk Warrior haircuts come from?

To address the namesake of the Mohawk people, it goes without saying that we should recognize the haircuts of the warriors preparing to go into battle. History dictates Mohawk warriors cut the sides of their heads with a strip of hair remaining in the familiar shape of today’s Mohawk. This style is also called the scalplock.
(Courtesy mohawkvalley-wiki.com)

What history doesn’t say however is that this was NOT the only style of hair and as in any culture, styles varied. Many warriors did cut their hair, but in various ways such as cut on one side, in front and more.

According to Arnold Printup – who himself sports a scalplock, “Our ancestors wore several styles to their liking. According to our oral traditions one historian said there was a warrior who also had a strip down the middle shaved out. The majority shaved our heads in some way. We valued the length of hair for its strength, spirituality and power,” said Printup.
_Mohawk_Warrior_Society_flag
The Flag of the Mohawk Warrior Society

Warriors shaved heads to protect women and children:

Mohawk Tribal historian Printup also says at a time when scalps were desired by settlers for bounty, Mohawk warriors decided to cut their hair in various ways to make their scalps more desirable to bounty hunters. “It was an in your face bold move as if to dare bounty hunters to seek their scalps. It was a distinction and a way to protect women and children.”
Paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division in 1944
Paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division in 1944

To throw a bit more confusion into the fire, Mohawk author and historian Darren Bonaparte says Mohawk isn’t a Mohawk word, because “M isn’t one of our letters.” Bonaparte says the hairstyle was originally Huron, yet old movies and Mohawk warrior paratroopers shaving their heads on D-Day inspired the namesake attached to the haircut.

Source: Indian Country Today

Photo: Painting And Drawing 1 (Oka Crisis Mohawk Warrior) By Akokatssini (Steven J. Black Weasel)
About these ads
Share:

Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)11Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)2K+Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)

Related

Warrior Societies In Contemporary Indigenous CommunitiesIn "Red Power Movement"

Mohawk Warrior Threatens Mass Blockades If Harper Doesn't Launch Missing and Murdered Women ProbeIn "Missing and Murdered: Indigneous People"

Canada Funds High-Tech Drone Campaign Against Mohawk Tobacco TradeIn "Indigenous Rights and Sovereignty"
Post navigation
Previous PostMother Of Attacked Teen Speaks Out
Next PostOntario Regional Chief Stan Beardy Calls On CN Rail To Back Down
One thought on “The Truth About The Mohawk And Why Mohawk Warriors Shaved Their Heads”

Resi Hampton
April 17, 2015 at 4:45 AM

Miigwetch!
I love your story.
I love all my Kanien’keha’kan Brothers & Sisters.

Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply
INDIGENOUS MEDIA
RECENT : RED POWER MEDIA
Preview: Boys don’t cry – Is it time we start talking about our murdered and missing indigenous men?
Preview: Boys don’t cry – Is it time we start talking about our murdered and missing indigenous men?
Mother Of Attacked Teen Speaks Out
Mother Of Attacked Teen Speaks Out
Manitoba Premier Concerned Kids Stuck In Jail Due To Lack Of Foster Spots
Manitoba Premier Concerned Kids Stuck In Jail Due To Lack Of Foster Spots
TOP POSTS

The Final Indian War in America About to Begin
RED POWER MEDIA
The Lakota vow to die rather than let the KXL pipeline pass
Navajo Women Walk 1,000 Miles To Protest Pipeline

ARCHIVES