OKIE OIL MAN & FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEW HORIZONS BUTTON

BAGHDAD TIME
Latest topics
» CHATROOM, NEW HORIZONS, IS OPEN!!!
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2020 1:52 pm by handy andy

» WELCOME BACK OKIE!
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm by karent56

» AS OF 18 APRIL 2018 ... CHATROOM HAS REOPENED AFTER ADDONCHAT ISSUES!!!
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 pm by DanJ

» ALL NATIVE'S CK THIS OUT
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 pm by pheasanthunter

» 10 Tips to Overcome Negative Thoughts: Positive Thinking Made Easy!
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 11:47 am by ..journey

» Chatroom login
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 1:35 am by Kinibop

» To Your Health ... Miracle Ginger Tea
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 6:56 pm by Kinibop

» STILL CANT GET INTO CHAT
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 8:10 pm by NorthernColoradoDinarian

» Cant get into chat Im a member
Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 1:29 am by Kinibop

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.

Go down

Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.  Empty Best known as the first woman elected chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma Mankiller was an activist for Native American and women's rights.

Post  MISPLACEDBUCKEYE Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:31 pm

• I want to be remembered as the person who helped us restore faith in ourselves.

• We are a people with many, many social indicators of decline and an awful lot of problems, so in the fifties they decided to mainstream us, to try to take us away from the tribal landbase and the tribal culture, get us into the cities. It was supposed to be a better life.

• Most people like to deal with us as though we were in a museum or a history book.

• There were a significant number of people in this country that were still questioning whether Indians were human.

• Western movies always seemed to show Indian women washing clothes at the creek and men with a tomahawk or spear in their hands, adorned with lots of feathers. That image has stayed in some people's minds. Many think we're either visionaries, `noble savages,' squaw drudges or tragic alcoholics. We're very rarely depicted as real people who have greater tenacity in terms of trying to hang on to our culture and values system than most people.

• We've had daunting problems in many critical areas, but I believe in the old Cherokee injunction to 'be of a good mind.' Today it's called positive thinking.

• Individually and collectively, Cherokee people possess an extraordinary ability to face down adversity and continue moving forward.

• I came to the position with absolute faith and confidence in our own people and our own ability to solve our own problems.

• The secret of our success is that we never, never give up.

• We must trust our own thinking. Trust where we're going. And get the job done.

• There are the extremes on both sides. There are those who have turned their backs on being Cherokee. Then we have a few who refuse to speak much English and think children should only play stickball, not baseball or football. They are suspicious of the non-Indian world, thinking too much assimilation will cause one to stop thinking Cherokee.

• There are a whole lot of historical factors that have played a part in our being where we are today, and I think that to even to begin to understand our contemporary issues and contemporary problems, you have to understand a little bit about that history.

• In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.

• I don't think anybody anywhere can talk about the future of their people or of an organization without talking about education. Whoever controls the education of our children controls our future.

• Growth is a painful process.

• Everybody is sitting around saying, 'Well, jeez, we need somebody to solve this problem of bias.' That somebody is us. We all have to try to figure out a better way to get along.

• Prior to my election, young Cherokee girls would never have thought that they might grow up and become chief.

• I've run into more discrimination as a woman than as an Indian.

• It was on Alcatraz...where at long last some Native Americans, including me, truly began to regain our balance.

• One of the things my parents taught me, and I'll always be grateful for the gift, is to not ever let anybody else define me.

• I experienced my own Trail of Tears when I was a young girl. No one pointed a gun at me or at members of my family. No show of force was used. It was not necessary. Nevertheless, the United States government through the Bureau of Indian Affairs, was again trying to settle the 'Indian problem' by removal. I learned through this ordeal about the fear and anguish that occur when you give up your home, your community, and everything you have ever known to move far away to a strange place. I cried for days, not unlike the children who had stumbled down the Trail of Tears so many years before. I wept tears that came from deep within the Cherokee part of me. They were tears from my history, from my tribe's past. They were Cherokee tears.
MISPLACEDBUCKEYE
MISPLACEDBUCKEYE

Back to top Go down